False Positive with WP Armour Extended

Home Forums WP Armour – Honeypot Anti Spam False Positive with WP Armour Extended

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Michael Rapino
    Participant

Hello, I have implemented the extended version of WP Armour for a number of my clients, and have had false positives in the logs. I realize that someone who has JavaScript disabled will be caught as spam. Is there any way to counteract this possibility? JavaScript is usually enabled by default, but I would love to know if there is a way to find out the reason for a particular entry being blocked?

Please advise.

Michael Rapino
    Participant

I am checking in regarding this post. I have an update … I just looked through 146 messages caught by this plugin, and 10 of them were real messages.

I don’t know what kind of success rate is expected, but obviously, we want to avoid sending a ton of people into the spam filter, which loses money and frustrates real customers.

Please let me know what you would do to tweak things at this point.

Thank you.

Dinesh
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

Sorry i missed this ticket last time.

Are you using Level 2 spam check ? If so any chance you can disable that for now ?

Thanks

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Dinesh.
    Michael Rapino
    Participant

Dinesh,

Thank you for the reply. For future reference, which contact method do you prefer for support?

I was using Level 2 spam check. I will disable this for the website I currently have WP Armour set on, and we’ll see if this stabilizes the amount of false positives.

Thank you.

Dinesh
    Keymaster

Usually Contact form or direct email at dnesscarkey [AT] gmail (dot) com.

Thanks

Randy Cassingham
    Participant

I am also having problems with occasional false positives, which points out a significant omission in the plugin’s programming: there is no way to click on something in the blocked list to say “No, this is OK” so that the comment goes into the Comment database for approval!

Also needed: a way to click off individual comment entries in the spam list for bulk action (Mark Valid, Delete Forever, etc.) Having no function there other than to delete everything just makes a mess of reviewing the actions taken.

Last, you need an I.P. whitelist — anyone commenting from specified I.P. addresses are not filtered and never locked out to help deal with the false positive problem.

Thanks, Dinesh.

Alauddin

Got IP blocked and now I can’t even visit the site.
    So I SFTP and disable the extended plugin and still, there is no way to delete the IP so I can reenable the extended plugin.

Seems like a big UI flaw in how this is implemented.
    I think maybe the free version should display the blocked IP with the functionality to delete or with functionality whitelist ips.

Dinesh
    Keymaster

Hi Alauddin,

Did you delete the plugin ? Actually those block code are in Extended version. And you should be unblocked. I will keep this in future release to avoid such incidents.

Thanks

Alauddin

Hi Dinesh,

Yes, I was able to access the site after deleting the extended plugin.
    So, the issue is how to enable the plugin because as soon as the plugin is enabled I get blocked again. In essence, I can’t activate the extended plugin on the site anymore.

Like I said, Ideally I think you need to have a system in place to remove the blocked IP from the extended version when the plugin is inactive so that we can delete the IP and enable the plugin.

John Sinclair
    Participant

I have exactly the same issue. The Extended plugin is useless now that my IP has been blacklisted, because as soon as I re-enable it I get blocked from the site. Can I manually remove IP addresses from the db? Where would I look for this? Deleting and re-installing the plugin is no help.

I’ve had to resort to another solution for blocking spam now. Would love to get WP Armour working again though.

Dinesh
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Sorry to know about the issue. Currently what you can do is you need to login to your site via different IP or VPN and then activate the plugin and remove the blocked IP from there.

For future update, we will have option from where admin can whitelist their IP. Or there will be no IP recording if admin is logging and testing the form.

Thanks

Luis Chacón

I have tried with a different network using a VPN on several countries and no luck, I had to removed the plugin. When will this be fixed?

Dinesh
    Keymaster

Hi Luis,

Do you mean that even after changing your IP you are not allowed to access the site ? What msg you are getting ?

Thanks

Luis Chacón
    Participant

Yes, i use surfShark for that and I verified the IP and even it changed the same mesg displays: Your IP is Blocked. If you think this is not right, please contact site administrator.

I had to dilete the extended plugin from the file in order to access to the dashboard. But when activate it again, it blocks me. Very annoying considering that we have the paid version. We purchased it this month on the 17th.

Dinesh
    Keymaster

Hi Luis,

Quite new to this issue as changing the IP shouldn’t block you anyway.

Any chance you can create a staging site for us ? So that i can play there around ?

You can PM me at dnesscarkey (AAATTT) gmail (d00t) com ?

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘False Positive with WP Armour Extended’ is closed to new replies.